The New Jersey Council of Humanities is seeking a full-time Office Manager.
Under the direct supervision of the Executive Director, this full-time salaried non-exempt position provides bookkeeping and administrative support for fundamental NJCH work. Such support involves tracking government grants, managing accounts payable and receivable, and handling donations and recurring transactions using bill.com, Quick Books Online, and Salesforce with precision and regularity and is absolutely essential to the functioning of a nonprofit. The role requires careful attention to daily, weekly, monthly, and annual financial record-keeping and managerial tasks. We are looking for someone with a proven track record of similar work. This position would involve both remote and on-site work.
Oversee the day-to-day administration of NJCH, including but not limited to the following responsibilities, activities, and tasks:
- Bookkeeping; includes managing all payables and receivables, working with Your Part-time Controller (YPTC) on behalf of Executive Director
- Prepares biweekly cash needs projections and assists YPTC with NEH draw down requests
- Helps to generate financial, programmatic, and communications reporting
- Monitors procurement process for consultants and major purchases in accordance with NEH Procurement guidelines
- Reviews all vendor and consultant contracts prior to signing by senior management, forwards to legal counsel for review as needed
- Initial point of contact for computer or network systems problems; serves as staff liaison with NJCH’s computer and database consultants when required
- Assists Executive Director in administration of personnel policies and procedures, staff reviews, recordkeeping for personnel, and coordination of staff recognition, team-building, and other events
- Serves as primary contact with benefits broker and insurance carriers, troubleshooting problems, conducting annual review of benefits package, requesting alternate proposals when necessary.
- Supports external controller in administration of basic bookkeeping responsibilities such as processing invoices, reimbursements, checks and deposits.
- Manages facilities and equipment leases and works with vendors to resolve problems and disputes.
- Supports Development by maintaining donation records, updating NJCH’s database, and creating thank you letters.
- Works independently and within the NJCH team on projects at the request of the Executive Director.
- Sorts and distributes mail. Drafts written responses or replies by phone or e-mail when necessary.
- Takes internal organization meeting minutes at staff meetings, board meetings, and occasional board committee meetings.
- Coordinates with vendors and IT service providers and manages office supplies.
- Helps to organize and maintain office space.
- Assists in the annual budgeting process for general office expenses.
- Strong organizational skills and precise attentiveness to detail in order to maintain the fiscal operations of the organization.
- Ability to work in a deadline-driven environment and handle multiple projects.
- Proficiency in computer skills: Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, internet, database management systems, and travel and expense systems.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Proven ability to build relationships internally and externally.
- Consistently seeks to document and improve processes.
- Proven ability to work independently and proactively address issues.
- Ability to exercise discretion and handle confidential information appropriately.
- Demonstrated ability to serve as a key administrative resource, including the ability to research inquiries and provide accurate and timely responses.
- Ability to work well under pressure with accuracy and efficiency.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s or Associate’s degree with 3-5 years of relevant bookkeeping and administrative experience.
- Advanced level of proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Experience working with QuickBooks Online or other accounting software, Bill.com or other bill payment software.
- Experience with Salesforce.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change from time to time based on business and organizational needs.
Minimal, in-state travel is expected for this position.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
This is largely a sedentary role; however, some filing is required. This would require the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets, and bend or stand as necessary.
To apply, please send a cover letter describing your interest in the position and relevant experience to it, as well as a resume and list of three references with contact information to firstname.lastname@example.org.