Under the direct supervision of the Director of Programs, this full-time salaried non-exempt Program Officer position is responsible for implementing and managing assigned public programs, and for developing new programs according to NJCH’s needs and mission. They regularly represent NJCH at meetings and conferences and attend council-supported programs. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday with the option to work remotely for some of that time.*
*Please note that during the COVID-19 pandemic, the office is working entirely remotely; it will return to in-office work in September 2021, working two days per week in the office with the full staff on site.
- Manage a variety of public humanities programs (in-person and online), and participate in fundraising, budgeting, publicity, and evaluation for those programs
- Recruit, mentor, and maintain relationships with program partners and scholars/facilitators for assigned programs
- Think creatively about developing new programs that serve the interests of NJCH’s constituent
- Work closely with NJCH’s Director of Programs, Grants Officer, and other staff
- Maintain data related to assigned program activities
- Provide support across programs and projects
- Maintain understanding of current trends in humanities programming and philanthropy
- Represent the Council at Board meetings, NJCH programs, and with the general public
- Assist with daily office operations
- Other duties as assigned
- Interest in the nonprofit sector, including trends and best practices particularly as they relate to increasing equity in grant-making
- Outstanding organizational skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Excellent attention to detail
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite
- Experience with some database and/or application software experience preferred
- Ability to cultivate positive and productive relationships and partnerships with a wide range of cultures, people, and organizations
- Ability to think creatively and strategically
- Ability to work effectively independently and collaboratively
- Ability to work in a deadline-driven environment and handle multiple projects
- Ability to work some weekends and evenings
- Enthusiasm for public humanities and their value in contemporary life
Education and Experience
3-5 years experience in developing and implementing programming in a humanities-based or other cultural environment.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change from time to time based on business and organizational needs.
Minimal, in-state travel is expected for this position.
This position has no staff supervisory responsibilities but may end up working with NJCH interns.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets, and web-based digital office programs (e.g., Zoom, Slack, Teams).
The salary range for this position is $50,000 to $60,000.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
At the New Jersey Council for the Humanities (NJCH), the nonprofit partner of the National Endowment for the Humanities for the state of New Jersey, we harness the power of the humanities to strengthen our communities. Our vision is a New Jersey that delights in diversity, appreciates that there are no easy answers, and finds joy and understanding in the humanities. How do we do this? By enabling public programs and humanities experiences that deepen our understanding of ourselves and our world. NJCH is a program provider, partner, convener, and innovator. We work with statewide and community organizations to bring dynamic programming to the local level. Click here to access NJCH’s mission, impact, and staff and board members listings.
To apply, please send a cover letter describing your interest in the position and relevant experience to it, as well as a resume and list of three references with contact information to email@example.com.